Friday, December 30

My first days in Nicaragua!

Hola Amigos!

It has been quite the adventure traveling to Nicaragua! I will admit it has been pretty overwhelming traveling alone in a country that I don´t know the language of. I learn a couple of spanish words each day, and meet people everyday who speak spanish too! I can feel and hear my english becoming more simplified because most of the english I speak is to local Nicaraguans, where english is their second languange.

I am staying in the city of Moyogalpa on the island called Ometepe. I have woken up both morning to the sound of roosters calling and birds chirping. it helped me tremendously to just sit and listen to the birds and admire the beautiful landscape when I first got here, to relieve my nerves.

I will stay on Moyogalpa through New Years, and then travel to other parts of the island. The volcano on this side of the island is absolutely magnificent. It takes about 10 hours to hike it if you are in very good shape... I think i will try to hike the other volcano on the other side that only takes 8 hours, and is not active, with a lake at the top! Of course I will hike it with a guide.

I hope all of you in North America are surviving the cold weather. I am feeling good in my skirt, tank top and flip-flops!

Adios!

2 comments:

  1. May the roosters and birds bring a familiar language to your ears, the warm air soothe your soul, and the majestic Concepcion Volcano let you spirit soar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading about your travels. Makes me wish I were there in Nicaragua with you!!

    ReplyDelete